Strange Outlook 2000 Error Message
Originally posted on May 31st,
Almost Lost My Head Over This One...
The last week of May 2002 was
quite a week for me. I just got back from Paris on vacation,
everything was bouncing off the walls because I was gone for
a week, and then I'm welcomed back with this strange error message
that several of my clients had on their Outlook 2000 email programs.
The error they got was... "1
message(s) couldn't be retrieved from the server. This usually
happens when the connection to the server is lost due to server
or network problems. If the problem persists, contact your administrator."
"A TCP/IP error occurred
while trying to send data to the server. (Account: 'YourAccount
POP3 Server: 'pop.yourdomain.com',Error Number: 0x800ccc13)."
Here's the screen shot...
I looked around on the net and
found a very good Microsoft article I didn't know about that
describes how to rebuild your Outlook data files, backup and
restore. Really nice thing to print out and keep for future reference.
Here's the link -
How to Back Up, Restore, or
Move Outlook Data
Here's the link I found that
pertains to the error above... kind of... -
You Can Send Messages but
You Receive an Error Message When You Try to Retrieve Messages
Following the instructions in
the above Microsoft article about rebuilding your data files
didn't work, neither did yelling at my hosting service (Yahoo)
because I presumed they had their head up their butt on this
one, what did work was the following:
I removed (uninstalled) Norton
Anti-Virus 2002, then reinstalled it. This was after I rebuilt
the Outlook PST file while following the instructions in the
I haven't contacted Symantec
about this, or talked to anybody else. All I know is this little
solution worked for me and I got my clients PCs going again.
I was talking to a colleague about this today and it seems that
the behavior I described above is suspiciously similar to the
following knowledgebase article from Symantec
Cannot download email after you delete or quarantine an email
message infected with the Wscript.KakWorm at http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000071909332606.
I wonder if one of my clients
downloaded a worm and tried to fix it...